Join AHEC Scholars...achieve more!
- Certification in Mental Health First Aid
- Certification in National CLAS standards
- Certification in IHI
- Network with students in various disciplines
- Network with students across the state
- Better prepared to work with diverse patients in rural and/or urban communities
- Resume and job interview preparation
AHEC Scholars is for health professions students wishing to supplement their education by gaining additional knowledge and experience in rural and/or underserved urban settings. AHEC Scholars is a two-year commitment involving inter-professional curricula to implement a defined set of clinical, didactic, and community-based activities. All experiential or clinical training will be conducted in rural and/or underserved urban settings.
Students must have a current interest in rural or underserved urban healthcare, be
enrolled in a health professions degree or certificate program and be two years from
program or degree completion. This includes but is not limited to students in medical,
dental, pharmacy, nurse practitioner, nursing, physician assistant, social work, physical
therapy, occupational therapy, and public/population health programs. If you are not
in one of these programs, but have interest in AHEC Scholars, please contact us at
Minority students, socio-economically disadvantaged students, and students from rural and/or underserved urban areas are particularly encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to Missouri residents enrolled in post-secondary health professionals programs of at least two years in duration.
AHEC Scholars are expected to complete a total of 40 hours community-based, experiential, or clinical training in rural and/or underserved urban areas as well as 40 hours didactic education each year. Topics will focus on:
- Inter-professional Education
- Behavioral Health Integration
- Social Determinants of Health
- Cultural Competency
- Practice Transformation
- Current and Emerging Health Issues
- Virtual Learning and Telehealth
- Connecting Communities to Resources
AHEC Scholars is a statewide program with approximately 105 students total, organized into small regional cohorts facilitated out of St Joseph, Kirksville, St. Louis, Rolla, Kansas City, Springfield, and Poplar Bluff.
- Applications due no later than Oct. 25th, 2023
Notification of acceptance – October 2023
Regional Orientation late October 2023