ACES(AHEC Career Enhancement Scholars) is a 2/3-year program designed for high school and undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. Students in the ACES program participate in college-credit courses, online modules, hands-on workshops, community service/volunteerism, and job shadowing.
The ACES Program is delivered from both Springfield and Bolivar. The Springfield ACES Program is hosted by Missouri State University. The Bolivar ACES Program is hosted by Citizens Memorial Hospital.
See our list of frequently asked questions about the ACES program for more information.
2019-2020 ACES Applications DUE BY Thursday, April 18th!
Application for the 2019-2020 Academic Year is now available for download!
Want to see if ACES is for you?
Check out our workshops to see if ACES is a fit for you!
Download and complete the following forms:
Activities offered through ACES
- Jumpstart Event-Kickoff event targeted to those interested in health care careers and becoming an ACES Student (held in the Spring)
- NEW ACES Orientation- Learn how to be a success in the ACES Program
- Medical Terminology Dual-Enrollment College Credit Course
- Individual Career Planning Workshop (ICP)- Personalized counseling for your future career!
- Professional Development- Learn how to prepare an effective personal statement, resume, and polish interview skills. As well as other college application preparation tips.
- Shadowing and Volunteering Assistance
- Basic Life Support/CPR Courses
- Suturing Course- Practice on your own specimen and learn how to tie knots and different suture patterns!
- Disaster Preparedness-This fun workshop allows students to simulate severe injuries with a military grade wound kit while nursing students assess and treat!
- MESA Dissections- animal dissections over body systems to learn anatomy and physiology (offered 4-5X each year)
- Nutrition Workshops- Learn about the physiology of nutrition and vote to decide on what food to cook in class!
- ACES Monthly Meetings- Learn how to lead and collaborate as a team
- STAT! A fun interactive way to work as a healthcare team online with realistic-simulated patients. A great way to learn about different common diagnoses, medical terminology, medications, health care roles and much more!
- College visits over the summer!
- Self-Defense Course
- Phlebotomy Training- Learn all about taking blood (hands-on training) and the different tests involved
- ACT Prep Course
- Dental Workshop-Interactive workshop with hands on activities learning dental techniques and skills
- Vital Signs Training
- Service Learning Projects in your own community
- HIPAA- Healthcard Privacy Training
- Infection Control Training
- Health Literacy and Public Health Training
- Cultural competency and the Health Care Team Training